The village Pesochnitsa had its name forcibly changed by the Greek
government to Amohorion. It is about 6 kilometres east of Lerin. It
is on the fertile Lerin plain on the track Lerin-Solun at 21 degrees
29 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 47 minutes latitude. It is 638 metres
above sea level and about 12 kilometres square in area. The Negovanska
River runs through the village dividing it in two.
The village borders to the northeast the villages Boreshnitsa and Rosen,
to the southeast Vrtolom, to the southwest with Kuchkoveni, to the west
with Lerin and to the northwest with Lazheni.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War about 1,520 residents lived
in the village of whom 1,170 were Macedonians, 350 Greek-Prosfigi. The
residents were employed in agriculture, raising livestock, trades and
other important activities.
In the period 1946-49, the residents took little part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG led by KPG. They had about 20 active
fighters, and 7 gave their lives.
1. Boglev Trendafil
2. Dalakov Natse
3. Dafov Tanas
4. Janev Jane
5. Marinkov Goche
6. Nasev K Pandil
7. Papadopulos Jani
After the Greek Civil War and emigration from and forced migration
to the village, the number of residents did not change much. The census
in Greece in 1991 recorded that there are 1,600 residents in the village.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning