The village of Popli was made to change its name by the Greek government
to Levkon. It is about 25 kilometres west of Lerin. It is about 2 kilometres
east from the Mala Prespa Lake on the ridge of the Bela Voda mountain
at 21 degrees 09 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 47 minutes latitude
and 903 metres above sea level. Its area is about 7 square kilometres.
The village borders to the north the village Shtrkovo, to the northeast
the village Rudari, to the east the Bela Voda Mountain, to the south
with the village Orovnik, and to the west it borders the Mala Prespa
Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 430 residents
lived in the village, of whom 285 were Macedonians and 145 were Greek-Prosfigi
(migrants). The residents were employed in raising livestock and agriculture.
In the period 1946-49, the residents actively took part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 45 active fighters.
16 gave their lives.
1. Begov Bozhin Pavle
2. Gelin Kole Dosta
3. Gerovski Mitre
4. Dimanova Trajkoitsa
5. Dimovski F Stojan
6. Drobitski Jankula
7. Drobitski Jankula Risto - father and son
8. Karanfilov Gligor
9. Karanfilov Gligor Fote - father and son
10. Karanfilov Risto
11. Kochovski Kote Kole
12. Markova Sotira
13. Mijovski Joshe Risto
14. Popovski Petre Stojan
15. Sterjov Da. Vasil
16. Tutunovski Trajan
The details about the middle names were completed by Hristovska (Mijovska)
Risto Velika from the same village and a participant in DAG from 1946.
Of the fallen fighters who gave their young lives there were 13 men
and 3 women.
After the Greek Civil War and emigration from and forced migration
to the village, the number of residents fell significantly. In the census
in Greece in 1991 it was recorded that there are 133 residents in the
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning