LAGEN (LAGINO)

The village of Lagen was forcibly made to change its name by the Greek government to Triandafilea. It is about 10 kilometres south of Lerin. It is at the foot of the mountain Vicho at 21 degrees 24 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 42 minutes latitude and 1,140 metres above sea level. It is about 18 kilometres square in area.

The village borders to the northwest with the village Neret, to the north with the village Krpeshtina, to the northeast with the village Dolno Kotori, to the east with the village Gorno Kotori, to the southeast Bel Kamen and now the abandoned village Elovo and to the west it borders with the Neret mountain. The Lagen River flows through the village.

Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 470 Macedonian residents lived in the village. They were employed in raising livestock, timber getting and less with agriculture.

In the period 1946-49, the residents took part in the organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 45 active fighters. 14 gave their lives.

They were:

1. Gochev Stefo Tanas
2. Jovanov Vasil Tanas
3. Kostov Stoiche Kole
4. Kostova Stoiche Kata
5. Masin Dzole Pavle
6. Numchev Vasil Tanas
7. Popov Tanas Jote
8. Popova Stefanija
9. Siderov Stoiche Risto
10. Siderov Tanas Risto
11. Stojanov Risto Sotir
12. Trajkov Tanas Gjorgi
13. Trapchinin Petre Vasil
14. Filev Vane Pandil

Of all of the fallen fighters who gave their young lives there were 12 men and 2 women.

After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from Lagen, the number of residents fell significantly. The 1991 census in Greece recorded there were 101 residents in the village.

< Return to Index or Next Chapter >

Lerin in Mourning
 















Adverts