The village of Lazheni was made to change its name by the Greek government
to Mesonision. It is about 5 kilometres northeast of Lerin. It is near
the railway line Bitola-Solun, in the Lerin Plain between the Lerin
and Menska Rivers at 21 degrees 28 minutes longitude and 40 degrees
47 minutes latitude and 620 metres above sea level. It is about 9 square
kilometres in area.
The village borders to the northwest with the village Armenovo, to
the northeast with the villge Boreshnitsa, to the east with the village
Rosen, to the southeast with the village Pesochnitsa and to the southwest
it borders with Lerin.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 330 Macedonian
residents lived in the village. They were employed in agriculture, and
less with raising livestock.
In the period 1946-49, the residents did not take part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG because the position of the village
did not enable it. There were 5 active fighters from Lazhen and 2 died.
1. Shakirov Trajan
2. Shakirova Mirijanka
After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from Lazheni,
the number of residents fell significantly. In the 1991 census in Greece
it is recorded that there were 288 residents in the village.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning