EMBORE

The village Embore, which the Greek government forcibly renamed Emporion, belongs to the Kajlarska region and is located about 13 kilometres southwest of the town of Kajlari. It is at the foot of Sinjachiko mountain at 21 degrees 34 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 29 minutes latitude and 690 metres above sea level. The village has an area of approximately 15 square kilometres.

The village borders with the following villages: to the north with Paljor, to the northeast with Derets, to the east with Radunishta, to the southwest with Vlashka Blatsa, and to the northwest it borders L'ka.

Before the start of the Greek civil war in 1945, about 1,180 residents lived in the village of whom about 855 were Macedonians and about 325 were Greek-prosfigi. The villagers were engaged in agriculture, livestock raising, skilled trades and other necessary activities.

During the Greek civil war the villagers actively took part in the organization of NOF and in the armed forces of DAG with more than 70 active fighters. 15 fighters gave their lives.

They were:

1. Boka Nikola
2. Vrben Mina Kosta
3. Vrben Sterjo
4. Kaptso Kosta Mina
5. Karamanov Trifo Hristo
6. Karamarev Hristo Dimitar
7. Kiti Petre Jovani
8. Kochiev Hristo Stavre
9. Kochuk Janko Gjeorgi
10. Mitrev Mina Anastas
11. Petkachev Hristo Nikifor
12. Popadinov Kiro Kosta
13. Radonishlev Nikola
14. Filicho Vlado Mina
15. Tsirkov Kuzman Kosta

The details of the fallen fighters were obtained from Kochiv Hristo Mihail from the village Embore, who took part in the armed forces of DAG.

After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from the area and forced settlement of new residents, the number of residents fell significantly. In the official census in Greece in 1991 it is recorded that there are 922 residents in the village.

< Return to Index or Next Chapter >

Lerin in Mourning
 















Adverts