DRENOVO

The village Drenovo was renamed by the Greek government to Kranje. It is about 30 kilometres southwest from Lerin. It was on the banks of Mala Prespa lake at 21 degrees 06 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 43 minutes latitude and 1,140 metres above sea level. Area was about 17 square kilometres.

The village bordered the following settled places: to the north the village L'k, to the northeast the village Bukovik, to the east with the villages Trna and Besfina, and to the south with the mountain Grbech and the renowned Vrba and to the west it bordered the lake Mala Prespa.

Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945, there were about 150 Macedonian residents. They were employed in fishing, raising livestock, agriculture and other skilled trades.

In the period 1946-49, the residents took an active part in the organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 20 active fighters, and 10 fighters gave their lives.

They were:

1. Bogdanova Sofija
2. Iljovski Mihajlo
3. Iljovski Nikola
4. Iljovski Vasil Kiro
5. Iljovski Lazo Aleko
6. Iljovski Simo Ilija
7. Janevski Stojan
8. Kostovska Stojna
9. Mangovski Mitre Vasko
10. Sotirovski Vasil

Of the fallen named above who gave their young lives, 8 were men and 2 women.

After the Greek Civil War and after the great emigration and forced emigration from Drenovo, the number of residents fell and there are no residents left there at all. This can be seen from the official census in 1991 in Greece according to which Drenovo is a former settlement.

< Return to Index or Next Chapter >

Lerin in Mourning
 















Adverts