VINENI

Vineni was forcibly renamed by the Greek Government to Pili. It is about 35 kilometres west of Lerin on the western banks of Mala Prespa lake. It is 21 degrees 03 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 46 minutes latitude and 860 metres above sea level with an area of about 20 kilometres squared.

The village borders on the following: to the east with the Mala Prespa lake and the island Ail with the village of the same name, to the north with Nivitsi, to the southwest with Grazhdano and the former village of Orovo which no longer exists, to the southeast with the village Drobitishta which also no longer exists.

Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 310 residents lived in the village who were Madzhiri - Greek migrants. The villagers were deployed in fishing, agriculture raising livestock and other necessary occupations.

< Return to Index or Next Chapter >

Lerin in Mourning
 















Adverts