NEGOCHANI

The village of Negochani was forcibly made to change its name by the Greek government to Niki. It is about 16 kilometres north of Lerin. It is on the Pelagonija Basin on the main road from Lerin to Bitola immediately next to the border between the Republic of Macedonia and Greece. It is at 21 degrees 25 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 55 minutes latitude, 580 metres above sea level, and about 7 square kilometres in area.

The village borders to the north with the Macedonian border, to the southeast with the village Nov Kavkaz, to the south with the village Klabuchishta and to the southwest with the village Sveta Petka.

Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 about 840 residents of Macedonian background lived in the village. They were employed in agriculture.

During the Greek Civil War, the residents took little part in the organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG. 10 fighters took part in battles and 3 gave their lives.

They were:

1. Abukov Mitre Pando
2. Gadzhovski Krste Zhivan
3. Todorovski (Markov) Kosta Tome

The details of the fallen fighters were obtained from Todorovski Kole.

After the Greek Civil War in 1949 and the emigration from the village and forced migration to Negochani, the number of residents fell significantly. The official census in Greece in 1991 recorded 425 residents in the village.

< Return to Index or Next Chapter >

Lerin in Mourning
 















Adverts