The village of Sakulevo was made to change its name by the Greek government
to Marina. It is about 15 kilometres northeast of Lerin on the main
road Bitola-Lerin. It lies at 21 degrees 30 minutes longitude and 40
degrees 51 minutes latitude and is 680 metres above sea level. Area
is about 7.5 square kilometres.
The village borders the following villages: to the northeast with Asanovo,
to the east with Krushoradi and Jurukovo, to the southeast with Vrbeni,
to the south with P'pzhani and to the west with Dolno Kalenik.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War about 490 residents lived in
the village, of whom 392 were Macedonians and 8 were Arnatui-Albanian.
The residents were employed in agriculture, raising livestock and other
necessary trades and activities.
In the period 1946-49, the residents took part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 40 active fighters.
Nine gave their lives.
1. Beshlievski Deljo Leonida
2. Beshlievski Lazo Risto
3. Dafovski Lazo Pando
4. Dafovski Lazo Uljan - brothers
5. Dafovski Todor Petre
6. Dafovski Gjorgji Lambo
7. Dafovski Done Mihali
8. Krivoshiev Filko
9. Krivoshievska Menka
Of the young fallen fighters there were 8 men and one woman.
After the Greek Civil War and emigration from and forced migration to
the village, the number of residents fell significantly. The official
census in Greece in 1991 recorded that there are 266 residents.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning