NEVOLJANI (GORNO NEVOLJANI)
The village of Nevoljani was forcibly renamed by the Greek government
to Skopija. It is 2 kilometres south of Lerin on Nevoljanska Plain,
which is formed by the Kula mountain to the north and Lopushnets to
the south. The Nevoljanska River runs through the village. Nevoljani
is at 21 degrees 25 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 45 minutes latitude
and 690 metres above sea level. Area is about 4 square kilometres.
The village borders to the north with Lerin, to the east with the village
Kuchkoveni, to the southeast with the village Maala, and to the west
with the village Kalugeritsa.
Before the start of the Greek Civil War in 1945 there were about 1,750
residents in the village, of whom 1,375 were of Macedonian background
and about 37 were Greek-Madzhiri. The residents were employed in agriculture,
raising livestock, trades and other important activities.
During the Greek Civil War, the residents took little part in the organization
of NOF and the armed forces of DAG. Participation was not possible because
of the location of the village. The village had about 50 active fighters
and during the time of the battles, 9 gave their lives and 8 patrots
were shot in the Lerin prison.
1. Bishkarov Gjorgi
2. Grozdin Pavle
3. Deligochev Lazo
4. Dzolev Petse
5. Kiradzhiev Krste
6. Lazenkov Iljo
7. Lazenkov Tase
8. Luzov Vangel
9. Mazenkov Risto Tase
10. Mazenkov Risto
11. Meshkov Vasil
12. Mitsev Stefo
13. Nanov Tase
14. Nanov Petse
15. Strezov Stavre
16. Tupuliov Petse
17. Trpchev Petse
After the Greek Civil War and emigration and forced evictions, the
number of residents fell significantly. The Geeek census in 1991 recorded
there are 594 residents in Nevoljani.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning