AHIL - AIL
Ail had its name forcibly changed by the Greek Government to Agios
Ahilios. It is a part of the Lerin region and it is 32 kilometres to
the west of the town. The village is surrounded by water. It is spread
on the banks of the little island of the same name which is on the lake
Mala Prespa and is a part of the Prespa Lake.
Ail is at 21 degrees 05 minutes longitude and 40 degrees 47 minutes
latitude; 640 metres above sea level and has an area of 36 square kilometres.
To the southwest is Vineni, to the south Drobitishta, and to the east
are the villages P'pli and Rudari.
Before the Civil War in 1945 there were about 100 residents. All of
the residents were of Macedonian background. The residents were employed
in fishing and pechalba (temporarily leaving to work as a migrant).
During the Greek Civil War the residents actively took part in the
organization of NOF and the armed forces of DAG with more than 10 active
fighters and during the battles 6 gave their lives.
1. Grigorov G Spase
2. Grigorov G Sotir
3. Grujanovski S Metodija
4. Grujanovski S Eftim
5. Maekovski K Pane
6. Markovski T Stevo
The details of fallen fighters were given by Mitre Markovski from
the same village and who was in DAG.
After the Greek Civil War and the forced emigration from the village,
the number of residents fell. In the census in Greece in 1991 it was
recorded that there are 31 residents.
< Return to Index or Next
Lerin in Mourning